Sunday, March 15, 2009

Trim

I finished the trim almost a month ago, but haven't had a chance to post any pictures. Here's the trim on the stairway. It was a little bit of a challenge because the concrete wall wasn't straight, so there was about a 1/2" of tapering different between it and the stud wall above. I ended up putting a 1x1 angle over the interface, then topped it with the same baseboard cap molding I put on the top of the stair stringer. End result is a nice finished look. The only thing left on the stairway is to paint the handrail and install it.



By design, I created a continuous ceiling line in the high side of the basement, so I could finish it with crown molding. The miters in the corners improved as I went along. All in all, I'm happy with the result. Here's a picture from the bottom of the stairs.

And from the back end of the room.

At the stairway, I ran the crown around the end of the stud wall with a closed return. I made it my last cut, and it looks the best, which is good because it's the one you see the most.

The only thing I have left to do now is go around and fill the nail holes with putty and paint over them.

We've used the basement a lot recently and are very happy with it. It still gets a little chilly down there if you don't have the furnace blower fan constantly on to circulate the air in the room. My theory on that is that all the cold air falls out of the house into this space, along with the slab being exposed to an infinite heat sink. It's not that bad though, and this is in the dead of winter with sub freezing temperatures. I'm sure it will be nice in the summer.

I called 4 weeks ago for my final electrical inspection, and then forgot about it because the township never called back to schedule an appointment. This happened with the rough-in inspection too, so I'll have to call them again this week and see what's going on with that.

The next step for this space is to decorate, plan for a new TV entertainment center and additional shelving to get Owen's stuff off the floor.

No comments: