Sunday, January 25, 2009

Baseboard Molding & Door

I installed standard baseboard molding around the perimeter of the room to finish off between the carpet and the walls. It was very easy to put it and I didn't have any troubles. I purchased primered composite molding and I was very happy with it. It only required one coat of paint to cover sufficiently and I had no trouble cutting clean edges with a 12" 40 tooth blade.

I planned a 36" interior door into the unfinished section of the basement and purchased it as a pre-hung assembly. I cut the door frame to length so I could screw the top to the header, which was level. Then I shimmed the hinge side square and nailed it in. Finally, I installed the door on the hinges and shimmed the jam side to even the gaps. I installed a standard interior door knob set into the pre-cut openings in the door. It shuts smoothly without binding, so I'm happy.

I finished around the door with standard door casing molding.

My miter saw and brad nailers paid off huge for this effort and made cutting the corner joints and nailing on the molding a simple task.

This was the first time I had a chance to use the brad nailers that were included in the air tool set. I'm very happy with them and they worked flawlessly.

No comments: