Sunday, July 20, 2008

Ceiling Work

I finished wiring the 6 recessed lights on the primary side. I used a traditional 3-way wiring scheme running power to the first switch, 3 conductor to the 2nd switch, then on to the fixture group. Everything worked the first time with no issues.
I used Lutron dimmers and I'm pretty impressed with their product. There is no noise when the dimming function is used, although it does put out some heat. I ended up choosing the traditional flip style with the small dimmer slide. I thought about the paddle switches, but we don't have any of those anywhere else in the house, so I stayed with the common theme.
I finished the soffit under the ducting by connecting both drops with a 2x3 laying on it's side. I predrilled holes in the 2x2's on the bottom of the drops, then drove 2, 3-1/2" screws into the ends of the 2x3's. This worked well to keep them from rotating.
It's almost a 7 foot run for the 2x3's, so to provide support when the drywall is in place, I put a 2x2 tie down the middle, and connected periodically up to the floor joists.

No comments: